Saturday, January 31, 2015


I just finished the final details on the trailer today. No more work to do on it! The internet savants have dated this trailer to June 1943. Registration number on the back is a close estimate of what the number would have been on a trailer made by Willys during that time. Everything is there that was on the original. I have put on 12 volt tail lights to match my jeep. Here are pictures of the completed restoration:

Friday, January 23, 2015

Tub Complete

As of this writing, the trailer is actually about 98% complete, but I just wanted to catch up on some of the process!

The work on the tub was completed: new floor and rear panel was attached. Dents removed and primed and painted. Here are a few pictures of the work:

Next up will be photos of the completed trailer!

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Undercarriage Ready!

I have the axle all assembled, painted and ready to go. All the other small parts (mounting brackets, etc.) are all painted also and ready to go on, including the casting with the lunette. As soon as I get the tub back it will be all ready to bolt together. I've got all the bolts ready to go so it shouldn't take long! Here are a few pictures:

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Fixing the tub

I decided to have the floor in the tub replaced as it was bowed significantly and also had quite a few holes due to rust-through. That is something beyond my ability to do, so a friend of mine who is well experienced in vintage jeep and military vehicle restoration is handling this for me.

Here is the tub after just having been separated from the frame:

Old floor removed! There were some 200 spot-welds holding it in place:

And here is the new floor being welded in place:

All the other parts are painted and ready to go. As soon is the tub is done, it shouldn't take long to put it all together! I will post pictures of the other parts soon. 

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Ready for the Olive Drab

Got everything all ready to be turned to a nice shade of olive drab! Axle is all re-assembled. I had to replace one of the left-hand wheel studs as it was damaged and stripped. Luckily I had some originals in the garage thanks to having changed all my studs on my jeep to right hand thread. Cleaned up and repacked the original wheel bearings and re-installed the brake shoes. Here are a couple shots of the axle and casting/lunette assembly all primed and ready to go:

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Getting serious....

I let the trailer sit as is for a while, but recently have gotten serious about getting the restoration done. I aim to have it completed by Christmas, if not sooner! 

I have gathered all the parts I need, and the tub has been picked up by a friend who will be replacing the floor and welding on the rear panel that was cut off to make a tailgate. All parts have been sandblasted or cleaned and primed. 

Here's a photo of some lovely sandblasted parts all nice and clean!

Just today I started putting things back together again starting with the axle, backing plates and brakes. Here is photo of the left side backing plate with brake shoes and a picture of all the primed parts just waiting to be put back together!

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Trailer work is progressing...

Here is an update on the work I've been doing (slowly) on the trailer. I cut off the ball hitch that had been welded onto the drawbars. Luckily the drawbars were basically undamaged and I was careful cutting the welds so I didn't damage them. Here is the drawbar assembly and casting after the extra metal was removed:

As you can see, the top of the casting that holds the lunette was cut off. Fortunately I was able to find a replacement casting which has a lunette still intact. Here are the drawbars after cleaning up the leftover welds:

And finally, a mock-up of the original casting assembly!